Sunday, December 16, 2012

Pen Turning Tips and Techniques

How to Turn a Pen (Pen Turning Tips and Techniques)5:00 (Pen Turning Tips and Techniques)
 Start with sand paper. If it's stabilized burl you can use micro mesh, otherwise just sand to 600 grit. You can use a CA Pen finish if you're wanting an ultra glossy look.
04-14-11 (Full Video) Lazerlinez Pen Kit by Russell Eaton and Constant Laubscher (01h32m06s)1h:32m:07 04-14-11 Lazerlinez Pen Kit
Cyanacrylat finish
http://youtu.be/Y8wdHFrVadY
http://www.timberbits.com/ This is how I apply my 20 thin coats of CA. It is a very quick method of applying a high gloss finish to the pen blanks. I use a paper towel to apply the finish. I have doe it so many times that I don't even use rubber gloves any more. The finish is hard and durable. The accelerator I am using is Mitre Fix. It is an aerosol accelerator that produces a fine mist as opposed to a pump action one which produces big water droplets. The purpose of the accelerator is to quickly set the CA. You don't have to use the accelerator but that will mean you will need to wait 30 - 60 seconds between coats
------------------
I have to admit I was a bit leery of doing the wet sanding at high RPM, but I opened it up (3800 RPM) and kept lots of water on the micromesh and a light touch. Polish out with Mothers Mag Polish and Maguires Plastic Polish. FANTASTIC. Like a sheet of glass.  
http://youtu.be/Scw4jsTGX9Iusing a blank made from cherry pits embedded in a red color resin. At late 3500 rpm and 1000 rpm for the finish
Pen Turning, Making a Wall Street II

No comments:

Post a Comment